Thursday, September 2, 2010

What is 'Jedi Soccer?'

Welcome to Jedi Soccer!

This is the personal Soccer fan-blog of Ernest 'Ernie' Lissabet, and I'm glad you are here.  In the coming weeks and months, I plan to build this blog site into a shrine to The Beautiful Game in general, and specifically to those teams and leagues in which I have a personal interest.  The name 'Jedi Soccer' was inspired by GOL TV color commentator Ray Hudson, who has strangely (and I do mean strangely) been a constant presence throughout my life as a soccer fan, first with the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers when I was a boy, then as the Head Coach of DC United, and now as a match commentator on the only American television station that consistently broadcasts games from overseas.  His outrageous, over-the-top color commentary will be a regular topic discussed here, as well as my own commentary about the sides I care most about:

FC Barcelona-- "Mes que un Club."  The greatest team in the world, and be off with your talk of Manchester United or Real Madrid;

DC United-- Despite their current wretched state, DC United is still the most successful club in MLS history, with 4 league championships, 2 US Open Cup championships, 1 CONCACAF Champions Cup, and 1 Inter-America Cup championship.  I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area and United is my MLS team;

The Yanks-- I am an American and I support the US National Soccer Team.  We will keep up with the progress of Bob Bradley's boys as we head into the campaign towards Brasil 2014;

La Furia Roja-- At last, the Spanish are the reigning World Champions, with a side that is among the finest in the history of Soccer.  As a descendant of Spaniards (via Cuba) on both sides of my family, the success of The Red Fury gives me great pleasure, so we will track the the fortunes of the new Spanish Empire;

The 'J' League and the 'K' League:  By now it is well known that the professional leagues of both Japan and Korea are generating World Cup caliber sides.  Some of the most interesting soccer in the world is being played now in East Asia, so we'll have some fun with Asian soccer;

The Fort Lauderdale Strikers-- Finally, this blog will also be an ongoing tribute to the now long-defunct Ft. Lauderdale Strikers of the old North America Soccer League (NASL), the team and the leauge of my boyhood which first hooked me into an appreciation of The Beautiful Game.

Ray Hudson... Barcelona... United... The Yanks... The Red Fury... Asian soccer...and the old NASL Strikers, these are the things we will write about here at Jedi Soccer.  I hope this blog will be informative, funny and entertaining, and I hope you check back frequently for a fresh perspective on the latest soccer news worldwide.

See you on the pitch.